RFC 4645bis: making 'pes' and 'prs' extlangs

Roozbeh Pournader roozbeh at htpassport.com
Fri Dec 5 23:48:32 CET 2008

Randy Presuhn wrote:
>> 4- Fortunately, FARSI has never been used in any research paper or
>> university document in any Western language and the proposal of its usage
>> will create doubt and ambiguity about the name of the official language
>> of our country.
>
> And that's simply untrue.  I learned how "Farsi" was an Indo-european language
> in an introductory linguistics course as an undergrad.

Well, you are reading a phrase written by a Persian as it was written by
Westerner. When we say "any", or "never", we don't mean 100% of the
time, we usually mean 90% or something ;-)

> One might even go so far as to
> argue "Who are these FARHANGESTAN folks to dictate English
> usage?  Do we tell them what to call English in their language?"

The Indians and the Chinese had been telling the world people what to
call their cities in English for quite a while now, and the world is
doing that (remember Peking, Bombay, and Madras?) This has also been
tried with language names (Sinhala vs Sinhalese) or country names. (This
is usually the other way around, with local names preferred over
establish English names.)

The Persian Academy tried to do similar, and continues to. Of course the
Persian Academy only answered because the Australian government asked
the Iranian government, and the Iranian government had no one else to
turn to, other than the Academy. In other words, someone asked them, and
they told their preference. I don't think the Academicians believe they
can mandate something for non-Iranians.

Best,
Roozbeh