ontology nits (was: acade - LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM)

Mark Davis mark at macchiato.com
Sun Aug 31 01:45:25 CEST 2008

At this point, I don't see the need for a compete subtree. But I think we
are better off not picking a name which would seem to be restricted to one
particular variant of 'akademic Belarusian', the 1959 variant, in case there
are further variants necessary. We just make trouble for users by doing so.
Option A. If we have just
be-akadem
and it later becomes necessary to distinguish the 1959 variant from the 2010
variant, we'd could end up with

be-akadem // for any variant
be-akadem-1959 // for the 1959 variant
be-akadem-2010 // for the 2010 variant

Option B. If we push the number into the name, then we'd have
be-akad1959 // for the 1959 variant

Come 2010, we'd have to add
be-akad2010 // for the 2010 variant

But then we'd be missing the umbrella term for both, which is what most
people would really like to use. (It'd be like having a term for "British
English" and one for "American English" and one for Australian (&c.), but no
umbrella term for "English" (of any variant). So we'd end up back yet again
adding what we should have added in the first place:

be-akadem

Mark