acade - LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM

Ihar Mahaniok mahaniok at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 23:50:31 CEST 2008

hi Michael,

but do you think that in this particular case it is so important?
There are practical uses of distinguishing "academic" from
"classical". But I don't see practical uses of distinguishing
"academic-1959" from "academic-2008". I believe nobody will create
distinct spellcheckers that work with only specific one of them;
rather, current "academic" spellcheckers that work by 1959 rules, will
be upgraded to fit 2008 rules. Also, the rules are similar enough so
it will be very difficult to distinguish whether one particular text
is written in academic-1959 or academic-2008. Therefore, I would
rather have no years in the subtag.

I understand your concerns about "academic". But the fact is that this
is one of only a few common names/descriptions for the version (others
being either even less stable, like "governmental", or derogatory,
like "narkamauka"). We could also go for names of authors of this
version; but the downside is that it will be difficult to understand
it.

If we go for variation of subtag referring academy, and if (though I
consider it very unlikely in any foreseeable future) academy ends up
creating a wildly different versionof the language, we can tackle this
at that time.

Also, variant with "akadem" is more referring to actual Belarusian
adjective, which is clearly naming the orthography, rather than to
Academy in the whole.