acade - LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM

Yury Tarasievich yury.tarasievich at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 11:06:52 CEST 2008

Gerard Meijssen wrote:
> In my opinion, the official Belarus language is not different from the
> Dutch language; it also has multiple orthographies and we do not
> restrict Dutch to one iteration of the official orthography.
> Consequently the inclusion of a year in the code gives the wrong
> impression. The impression should be that this is the official
> orthography. This idea is not conveyed by calling it academic either.

Isn't it somewhat impossible to cater to everybody's impressions? Why
not go for descriptiveness, such as may be packed into a maximum of 8
letters.

"Official" is absolutely empty as a description, especially without
timestamp. Now, "academy" is slightly more descriptive, pointing to the
origin of entity.

Now, folks here dislike "academy" and want year-stamp, too. Fine.

And if future will bring "taraskievic" purges in Academy, well, then I'm
sure the future stuff of Registry will take care of namings. Why bother
with might-beens now?

-Yury