acade - LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM

David Starner prosfilaes at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 19:24:11 CEST 2008

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 12:58 PM, Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com> wrote:
> In my opinion if there is only to be ONE subtag for this it should be for
> the one that you could make a spell-checker or Wikipedia with.

Like en.wikipedia.org, which includes en-UK, en-US and en-AU? All of
which are more specific than en-fonipa; in a world where en-fonipa or
en-neuspik was common, a tag that would include the normal spellings
of all of them would be useful. There's some value in specifying a
very specific variety of a language for spell-checking, but there's a
lot of writing out there that doesn't exactly match one very specific
standard but matches a broader dialect or general orthography and
could be profitably so tagged.