wadegile and pinyin LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORMs

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Tue Aug 26 04:21:06 CEST 2008

Frank Ellermann scripsit:

> True, but I think that is a problem with "zh" in ISO 639-2,
> not with the registration request for "zh-pinyin".  Out of
> curiosity, why is "cmn" no ISO 639-2 language, when it is
> used by roughly 1/6 of the human population on the planet ?

Because 639-2 is designed for use by bibliographers, who can't
be bothered with the difference between Classical Chinese,
Modern Standard Mandarin, Cantonese, and whatever.

--
That you can cover for the plentiful            John Cowan
and often gaping errors, misconstruals,         http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
and disinformation in your posts                cowan at ccil.org
through sheer volume --that is another
misconception.  --Mike to Peter