Results of Duplicate Busters Survey #1

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Mon Aug 25 15:05:29 CEST 2008

Here are the results of Survey #1, in which I asked what to do about
duplicate names in the core standards, which we adopt as Description
fields and in which duplication within a record type would therefore be
bad.

For the language subtags for Hebrew, Indonesian, Javanese, and Yiddish,
the region subtag for "Private use", and the grandfathered tag for
Hakka, I recommended no change, since these are not the cases in which
duplication poses a problem.  Nobody argued against this.  I did change
the text "PRIVATE USE" from uppercase to sentence case, again without
objection (although Kent Karlsson had originally expressed preference
for all-lowercase "private use").

For the language subtags for Aruá, Awa, Borna, and Murik, ISO 639-3/RA
has made the appropriate changes in their database and posted them to
their Downloads page, so we have no action item there either.

That leaves only the Dimli/Kirmanjki situation, which might have been
handled by ISO 639-3 as well but was not.  To summarize, "Dimli" and
"Kirmanjki" are the only names assigned to ISO 639-3 code elements 'diq'
and 'kiu' respectively, but they are also alternative names for the code
element 'zza' whose reference name is "Zaza."

Below is the original text I wrote on July 30, proposing that these
names be disambiguated in the Registry.  I'd like to ask ISO 639-3 to
consider making this change in the source; if they do not, I'd like
feedback from the lists on making the change in the Registry, a solution
which has not sat well with many list participants in the past.