LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM: pinyin

Mark Davis mark.davis at icu-project.org
Mon Aug 4 19:57:24 CEST 2008

Mandarin text has been validly tagged as 'zh', and will continue to be
validly tagged as 'zh'. So what Addision is saying is that it would be
absurd not to permit zh with the variant subtag, especially as it is the
only currently possible construction. In the future, hopefully by the end of
this year (or at least the next -- I've been wrong about predicting schedule
before!), it will also be possible to use the narrower subtag sequences cmn
or zh-cmn, which many people will prefer. And at that point we'll add them
as prefixes.

However, that doesn't change the fact that zh-Latn-pinyin (or
zh-Latn-hpinyin or zh-Latn-hanyu, however we end up with a name) is a
perfectly reasonable, unproblematic variant subtag that meets a current
requirement.

Mark