LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM: pinyin

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Sun Aug 3 18:48:33 CEST 2008

Kent Karlsson scripsit:

> Doug Ewell wrote:
>
> > As mentioned earlier, while Pinyin is used primarily and overwhelmingly
> > for Mandarin Chinese, it does have use for other languages.

I would need to be convinced of this, Doug.

> For instance Cantonese: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Cantonese_Pinyin.

That's not the specific system Hanyu Pinyin being referenced here.
Remember that "pinyin" just means "alphabet" in Mandarin, so finding it
in the name of a particular romanization system proves nothing.

> > It's not as though we were talking about using 'boont' with Russian.
>
> ???

'boont' being a variant subtag for a variety of English.

--
A: "Spiro conjectures Ex-Lax."                  John Cowan
Q: "What does Pat Nixon frost her cakes with?"  cowan at ccil.org
  --"Jeopardy" for generative semanticists      http://www.ccil.org/~cowan