LANGUAGE SUBTAG MODIFICATION REQUEST - zxx

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Wed Apr 23 06:51:04 CEST 2008

Frank Ellermann <nobody at xyzzy dot claranet dot de> wrote:

> The discussion was about the fact that "zxx" is a subtag, and can be
> used in tags such as "zxx", "zxx-Latn", or "zxx-Zyyy". Assuming that
> "zxx" automagically means "zxx-Latn" would be wrong.

Right.  That's why there is no Suppress-Script for 'zxx'.  To me, and
perhaps I'm the only one, this is so obvious that the statement:

    "The idea that there is no Suppress-Script 'Latn' for 'zxx'... might
be important."

left me bewildered.

CE Whitehead <cewcathar at hotmail dot com> wrote:

> Hi, all.I think that some [zxx] content, when written/printed, is in
> Latin-1 (for example, programmatic content)but it could be in any
> script or no script-so I am not sure if a suppress-script makes sense
> either.

As exemplified by this statement, there is surely more confusion over
the meaning and purpose of Suppress-Script than all other newly
introduced RFC 4646 concepts put together.  I'd like to suggest that a
special page about Suppress-Script be added to Stéphane Bortzmeyer's
site at www.langtag.net to help alleviate this confusion.  I don't
propose to write this page myself, as none of my efforts to explain
Suppress-Script seem to have improved the signal-to-noise ratio.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Arvada, Colorado, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://www.ewellic.org