Erzgebirgisch Classification Question

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 1 20:48:33 CEST 2008

Hi
It's my understanding that people who request [de-erzgeb] will not always  be served documents that are simply tagged [de] ??
 http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4647.txt (sections 3.3, 3.4)
It depends on how search engines process the request--is this correct?

For example, [de-erzgeb] will not yield documents tagged [de] where filtering is used::

"In filtering, each language range represents the least specific
   language tag (that is, the language tag with fewest number of
   subtags) that is an acceptable match.  All of the language tags in
   the matching set of tags will have an equal or greater number of
   subtags than the language range."

Thanks,

C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar at hotmail.com

Frank Ellermann nobody at xyzzy.claranet.de

> CE Whitehead wrote:

>> why does Frank prefer [de] to [gem]--is Erzgebirgisch
>> that close to German?

> Hi, that was in a hypothetical discussion with Doug about
> the relevance of ISO 639-3 classifications for practical
> purposes of tagging Web pages.

Thanks.  I guess I remember the discussion vaguely.

Tracey, Niall niall.tracey at logica.com
Tue Apr 1 17:48:06 CEST 2008
> Of course, A) should still only be done if linguistically justifiable.
> (Just as I wouldn't want Scottish Gaelic or Irish to be considered
> a subtag of EN just because all speakers of them can
> understand English.)
Agreed! +1  Though I can't say I understand all the purposes of tags perfectly either.

(Frank Ellermann nobody at xyzzy.claranet.de
> FWIW I think that "sxu" is as close to "de" as possible,
> while other "gem" languages like "frr" or "fy" are not.
> IMO closer than "nds" or "gsw", but IANAL (as in "not a
> linguist" ;-)

I assume Franconian is mid-distance from German based on ethnologue's analysis--if ethnologue's analysis is correct on this point [that is not so distant as Frisian, more distant than Upper Saxon].

Hope my understanding is correct; I barely speak German so . . . whatever the German/Germanic speakers tell me.)

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar at hotmail.com