Archival of registration forms

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Fri May 11 07:27:12 CEST 2007

(cross-posted after careful thought)

Addison Phillips <addison at yahoo dash inc dot com> wrote:

>> This will not make more work for the IANA or the LSR but will allow
>> everyone to go from a record to the original submission.
>
> I think I oppose having mandatory comments, especially ones bearing
> URLs to potentially transitory message archives.

I oppose these mandatory comments rather strongly.  If we were forced to
have them, I would think they should be a dedicated field, like "URL:
http://whatever", not shoehorned into the existing Comments field along
with all the human-readable stuff.

Regarding the whole issue of IANA archiving the registration forms, I
think the new page at IANA looks great and should fulfill the intent of
both this WG and the ietf-languages list.  Over the next 2 months or so,
I intend to go back through the ietf-languages archives, dig up the
registration forms for all the variants registered since the Language
Subtag Registry went live in October 2005, retrofit whatever changes
were made before the subtag was registered, and post them all on the
ietf-languages list with an eye toward sending them to IANA.  If anyone
else would like to do this, or share the workload, I would not object.
Remember that ISO-based subtag additions and modifications are not part
of this.

http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/