be-tarask language subtag registration form

GerardM gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 01:51:48 CEST 2007

Hoi,
You will have read what John Cowan wrote. Even the naming of these
orthographies is a minefield.

In a nutshell, the <http://be.wikipedia.org>be.wikipedia.org was high
jacked by the people who favour the "old" orthography. They prevented
the usage of the official orthography. This resulted in a request for
a new wikipedia for the official orthography. The Wikimedia
Foundation does not allow for politically motivated projects. The
current status is that there is a
<http://be.wikipedia.org>be.wikipedia.org that does allow for the
official orthography. There is a
<http://be-x-old.wikipedia.org>be-x-old.wikipedia.org that contains
the old wikipedia content.

We hope that these people find themselves a solution. Applying for a
code here will not bring them an ISO-639 code. This has been
formulated as a requirement for a language to be recognised within
the Wikimedia Foundation.

Thanks,
     Gerard

On 3/31/07, Michael Everson