Mark Davis is unhappy with the LSR

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 10 19:27:30 CET 2007

Hi, my comments below,

> > - the RFC 4646 clearly indicates that the reviewing list should be
> > ietf-languages at iana.org, that the LSR should be selected by the IESG.
> > The present situation where Harald Alvestrand as a BoD Member of
> > Unicode is the owner of the list and not the IANA, and you have been
> > designated a long ago by Harald Alvestrand who is not even a Member of
> > the IESG, creates a growing opposition to the RFC 4646 LSERegistries.
> > This is increased by the rempant opposition to ISO 639-3 we can
> > observe. In consensually accepting RFC 4646 (for the US Lagacy
> > Internet, as per the Tunis agreement) I intended that the
> > ietf-languages at iana.org would regroup responsible persons from SIL,
> > UNESCO, ISO TC 37 and 46, Chairs of ISO et JTC1 WGs, ITU,
> > Francophonie, CON, MAAYA, MINC, etc. etc. representatives, etc.
Hmm, how is this going to be done?
These are fine I guess--seems a good idea to have representatives from these
at IETF; IETF also includes librarians and persons who work in private
companies that have to either tags languages (Wikipedia), or in software
companies that create applications that create/process tags; so do not leave
those out.

Of course, right now it is mostly haphazard and volunteer.

I see no problem also in having at-large members who create web content.

Thanks.

--C. E. Whitehead

This