FYI Proposed New ISO/IEC Standard

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Sat Mar 3 20:23:58 CET 2007

John Cowan <cowan at ccil dot org> wrote:

> This is a complaint by the Linguistic Society of America that the
> proposed OOXML ISO standard (aka Microsoft Office XML) doesn't use RFC
> 4646 (they are on a broken 639-1 plus 3166-1 subset of RFC 1766, both
> parts mandatory).

We should be grateful that the LSA did not stop at support for ISO 639-2
and -3, but recommended support for all of RFC 4646, scripts and
variants and all.

> <mock>Another nail in the OOXML coffin.</mock>

Sadly, there are still many applications whose understanding of language
tagging is incomplete, misguided, or outdated.

http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/