Michael Everson everson at
Sun Jun 17 21:37:48 CEST 2007

I have forearded this to IANA with two informative parenthetical
additions. You may remember my complaint that � entities are
not legible to humans. These subtag entries *are* intended to be
legible to humans. The final sentence now reads:

Also known as: New Turkic Alphabet; Birlәşdirilmiş
Jeni Tyrk Әlifbasь (Birlasdirilmis Jeni Tyrk alifbas');
Jaŋalif (Jangalif).

It is easy for someone who knows anything about Turkic and who sees
this to guess that the "s" that corresponds to ş is s-cedilla.
But otherwise ş is just incredibly annoying.

At 11:42 -0700 2007-06-17, Doug Ewell wrote:
>Type: variant
>Subtag: baku1926
>Added: 2007-04-18
>Prefix: az
>Prefix: ba
>Prefix: crh
>Prefix: kk
>Prefix: krc
>Prefix: ky
>Prefix: sah
>Prefix: tk
>Prefix: tt
>Prefix: uz
>Comments: Denotes alphabet used in Turkic republics/regions of the
>  former USSR in late 1920s, and throughout 1930s, which aspired to
>  represent equivalent phonemes in a unified fashion. Also known as: New
>  Turkic Alphabet; Birlәşdirilmiş Jeni Tyrk
>  Әlifbasь; Jaŋalif.
>Doug Ewell  *  Fullerton, California, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
>Ietf-languages mailing list
>Ietf-languages at

Michael Everson *