Variant tags for sl-rozaj: History and preliminaries Draft of message

Doug Ewell dewell at
Fri Jun 15 16:31:32 CEST 2007

<han dot steenwijk at unipd dot it> wrote:

> This makes me think that, with a prefix 'sl-rozaj' for the variant subtag
> 'biske', both "sl-rozaj-biske" and "sl-biske-rozaj" would be valid tags,
> as in either case the 'sl' language subtag and 'rozaj' variant subtag
> appear in the language tag. Has it somewhere been determined that the
> subtags that make up a prefix should all occur to the left of the variant
> subtag to which the prefix applies? Actually, that is what the notion
> 'prefix' entails.

My gut feeling is that this is governed by the word "prefix": all of the
subtags that make up the Prefix field for Subtag X must appear in the tag
BEFORE Subtag X is added.  I can see how a language lawyer might argue this
point, though.