LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM: "lipaw"

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 28 16:47:46 CEST 2007

+1

--C. E. Whitehead

han.steenwijk at unipd.it han.steenwijk at unipd.it
Fri Jul 27 13:40:26 CEST 2007
wrote:

>In reaction to some comments in the discussion so far I decided to request
>"only" one more variant subtag for a Resian minor local dialect, viz. the
>Lipovaz dialect. It has enough phonetical, phonological and lexical
>features to make it distinct from any other Resian local dialect and,
>thanks to the efforts of Sergio Chinese, a considerable amount of written
>documents is piling up. Apart from that, the Lipovaz dialect is already
>known from samples of spoken language taken down in the 18th century.

. . .

>Dal Vangelo secondo Luca (prima parte)/Od Lukë Uanǵëlë,
>translated by Sergio Chinese.
>http://www.valresia.it/studi/luca1.html

Since there is a translation into this dialect online, I see no reason not
to give it a subtag--especially since, as Han has pointed out, this dialect
has made its way into quite a bit of writing.

However, I note it's a minor dialect; that's my only reservation:

(See a previous email under the subject:

"Variant tags for sl-rozaj: History and preliminaries" )
han.steenwijk at unipd.it han.steenwijk at unipd.it
Sat Jun 9 06:35:49 CEST 2007
wrote:

>The terms "major" and "minor" refer to the number of speakers as well as to
>the number of isoglosses separating the dialects.

But so long as a minor dialect occurs in written form online I would think
even a minor dialect qualifies for a subtag.

C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar at hotmail.com