Suppress-Script for Korean?

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 27 15:35:39 CEST 2007

Hi, Doug, all--my comments are below.

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar at hotmail.com
>CE Whitehead <cewcathar at hotmail dot com> wrote:
>
>>(Myself I remember the case for belarussian where the existing standard
>>did not need an additional variant subtag since in some since it was the
>>default value; whereas the classical variety did need such a subtag--or
>>else would be confused with the other.  Default values may be different
>>than suppress-script of course, but . . . )
>
>This might seem like it has something to do with the Korean Suppress-Script
>question, but it doesn't really.
>
>The two main writing systems used for Belarusian are Latin and Cyrillic;
>the latter is further subdivided into Taraskievica and
>whatever-I'm-supposed-to-call-the-other-orthography.  There is no question
>that Cyrillic is predominant over Latin for writing Belarusian, to the
>point where setting 'Cyrl' as the Suppress-Script is without controversy.
>Variants like 'tarask' have no bearing on Suppress-Script.

Right, but the default value for [be] is not [tarask] obviously (or we would
have needed a variant tag for the other variety of Belarussian orthography,
with [be] by itself defaulting to neither, or either variety; my
understanding was that [be] without [tarask] defaulted to the non-tarask
orthography).  My point is that it is possible to have two writing systems
where both are recognized and in use but where one is considered more common
or somehow standard.

>The predominant writing system for Korean is Hangul combined with some
>small amount (possibly zero) of Hanja.  I don't think there's any debate
>about that; the question is whether this can be represented as 'Kore'
>("Hangul + Han") or whether it can only be 'Hang'.  'Kore' makes sense as a
>Suppress-Script for Korean if and only if the former is true.

Thanks for clarifying this; if there is a small amount of  hanja with Hangul
the script value is Kore, but otherwise it seems to be Hang:
http://people.w3.org/rishida/utils/subtags/index.phpsearchtype=5&searchtext=notext&submit=Display

I'd rephrase the issue here as a question of whether people mostly write in
hangul with possibly a small amount of hanja or whether hanja is really out
of the question and thus people write in hangul only  ([hang] is used only
to pure hangul as I understand it; correct me if I am wrong).  (I don't know
the answer to the question I just asked; I took people's words on the list
that [kore] stood for the more widely used writing system, and was thus the
best choice for a default value for Korean writing, and the better candidate
for 'suppress script' .   Sorry if I am still confused, and if [kore] does
not represent hangul with possibly a small amount of hanja while [hang]
represents only pure hanja.)

>"Default values" for a language or variant, such that the "default value"
>would not require qualification by a variant while other values would, are
>not defined anywhere within RFC 4646.
Thanks for clarifying this!!!