Suppress-Script for Korean?

Mark Davis mark.davis at icu-project.org
Tue Jul 24 21:46:05 CEST 2007

As I noted earlier, we have precedent for this: Japn for Japanese. The same
basic principles apply.

   - Suppress-Script should be supplied when it would be very uncommon in
   modern usage for the language to be written in text not encompassed by the
   script.

In the case of Japn or Kore, it would be very uncommon for Japanese to be
written in scripts outside of Japn (Han, Katakana, or Hiragana); in the case
of Korean, it would be very uncommon for Korean to be written in scripts
outside of Kore (Han or Hang).

Mark

On 7/24/07, Addison Phillips <addison at yahoo-inc.com> wrote:

> 'Kore' is a new subtag. 'Hang' has existed for awhile. And I suspect but
> cannot prove that many Koreans will think of their language as being
> written in the Hangul script, whether it is purely Hangul or not.
>
> If we suppress the wrong script, users might think that they have to
> identify "other" scripts, like 'Hang', by default. I think we should be
> very judicious about what we suppress, especially when there can be
> confusion. Besides, I'm not sure what adding 'Kore' achieves.
>
> Addison
>
> Randy Presuhn wrote:
> > Hi -

Mark