Suppress-Script for Korean?

Randy Presuhn randy_presuhn at mindspring.com
Tue Jul 24 20:46:41 CEST 2007

Hi -

I'm pretty sure most English speakers don't think of their language as
being written in "Latin" script.  Subtags (and language tags in general)
are for computers, not direct human consumption.

> If we suppress the wrong script, users might think that they have to
> identify "other" scripts, like 'Hang', by default. I think we should be
> very judicious about what we suppress, especially when there can be
> confusion. Besides, I'm not sure what adding 'Kore' achieves.

It describes the current situation with Korean, and accounts for the
existing base of materials bearing no script subtag.

Randy