Archive Entry for baku1926

Doug Ewell dewell at roadrunner.com
Tue Jul 24 15:36:20 CEST 2007

Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com>

>> I'm rather strongly of the opinion that this extra material does NOT
>> belong in the registration forms archived by IANA.  The registration
>> forms should be those that contributed to the approval of the
>> subtags.
>
> I agree. The registry is not an encyclopaedia.

The topic here is not the Registry, but rather the archive of
registration forms maintained at
http://www.iana.org/assignments/lang-subtags-templates/index.html.
Those forms are indeed expected to contain encyclopedic material, partly
to reduce the demand to fill the Registry with it instead.  This
material can be useful when evaluating proposed subtags.

However, the registration forms are not supposed to be updated *after*
the relevant subtags are registered.  They are snapshots of the
registration process.  Adding more material to them over time is neither
our job nor IANA's.

http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/