Solving the UTF-8 problem

Jeremy Carroll jjc at hpl.hp.com
Mon Jul 16 12:34:45 CEST 2007

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> If IE does not understand that the file is plain text encoded in
> UTF-8, it is broken.
>
> Using the file extension to find its type is both non-standard (why
> ".txt" instead of ".text"? Where is the registry of file extensions?)
> and quite old-fashioned.
>
> Advices?

http://www.langtag.net/registries/language-subtag-registry.utf8

My copy of IE seems happy enough

Version	7.0.5730.11CO

on

OS Name	Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version	5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600

Also my copy of firefox is happy with this file.

I would suggest listing a few known-to-work configurations, somewhere,
... and as long as the behaviour is standards conformant, and does work
on enough platforms, then that's fit for purpose.

This is not a site intended for the general public requiring some
solution for old, old browsers. If it were, they would be a server side
solution by looking at the user agent information passed with the http
request, and returning say the ascii only version or redirecting to a
URL with a .txt extension or whatever. But that is not what this page is
for!

Jeremy

--
Hewlett-Packard Limited