Proposal to add "Kore' as Suppress-Script for 'ko'

Mark Davis mark.davis at icu-project.org
Wed Jul 11 16:06:37 CEST 2007

Suppress Script is not designed for "automated stuff", nor is it an issue
that:

> This
> Suppress-Script thing, how is it to know that a paragraph in Chinese
> with three words in Hangul in the middle isn't really Chinese and not
> Korean?

After all, one could say this same thing about Japanese: 3 words in Hira in
the middle of a sequence of Hani; where ja *does* have Suppress-Script of
Japn.

So what is Suppress-Script actually supposed to do? Suppress-Script is to
give a "preferred form", for compatibility, where a script is not really
normally needed. Here is an example of that. If I have the language
identifier en-Latn-US, the preferred form of it is en-US. That is because en
is customarily not written with anything but characters from Latn. Similarly
the preferred forms of

ru-Cyrl-RU
sr-Cyrl-RS
ja-Jpan-JP
ko-Kore-KO

are

ru-RU
sr-Cyrl-RS // not suppressed, because sr is also customarily written in Latn
ja-JP
ko-KO // should be suppressed IMO

ja-JP has a suppress script of Jpan because it is customarily not written
with anything but characters from Jpan. Because Korean is customarily never
written with any characters outside of Kore, it makes sense to suppress
Kore; there is really no normal need to supply the script for Korean.

It of course *does* sense to say ko-Hani or ko-Hang, just as it makes sense
to say ja-Kana, ja-Hira, or ja-Hang. And in specialized cases one could use
these, just as in specialized cases one can distinguish ru-RU from
ru-Cyrl-RU from ru-Latn-RU (in transliteration). But for normal purposes one
does not need to mention a script with ko.

Mark

On 7/11/07, Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com> wrote:

> At 22:56 -0700 2007-07-10, Doug Ewell wrote:
>
> >The North Korean national character encoding, KPS 9566-97, includes
> >4,653 Hanja, or more than half the total number of encoded
> >characters. Then again, it also includes Latin, Greek, Cyrillic,
> >kana, and a fair number of dingbats.
> >
> >I'm willing to withdraw this request if people think it is not
> appropriate.
>
> I think it's wrong. Kore is an alias for two scripts. This
> Suppress-Script thing, how is it to know that a paragraph in Chinese
> with three words in Hangul in the middle isn't really Chinese and not
> Korean? Kore makes sense from the point of view of ISO 15924, but
> not, I think, in terms of the automated stuff Suppress-Script is
> supposed to do.
>
> I could be wrong. But my impression is that this request is unsafe.
> --

Mark