[Ltru] Solving the UTF-8 problem

Doug Ewell dewell at roadrunner.com
Mon Jul 2 01:50:22 CEST 2007

John Cowan <cowan at ccil dot org> wrote:

>> 1.  UTF-8 doesn't play well with e-mail, which is invaluable for
>> discussing changes on the ietf-languages list and sending the changes to
>> IANA (stated by several).
>
> I note for the record that your message arrived encoded in Latin-1 but
> tagged "utf-8".

(For reference: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180.)

When I saved the sent message as a text file and then opened it in a hex
editor, I saw the UTF-8 sequences.  So it may have been changed somewhere
along the way.  Maybe I should have included a non-1252 character somewhere.

In any case, I don't dispute that e-mail support for UTF-8, whether in
clients or gateways, is unreliable.  I suggested an approach to get around
that problem.

http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/