Request for variant subtag fr 16th-c 17th-c RESUBMISSION

Addison Phillips addison at yahoo-inc.com
Sun Jan 21 00:02:02 CET 2007

Hi,

I fail to understand how this pair of submissions will make sense to
language taggers looking at the registry. The variants proposed are not
separately described from medieval and modern French respectively. In
fact, the descriptions appear to *be* medieval and modern French. Based
on these subtags, one might make the assumption that 'frm' means "prior
to 1606" and 'fr' means "after 1606".

In other words, what variation do these variants describe, please?

I might be happier if "1606nict" were a variant for 'fr', allowing
content to all be in 'fr' French, with variations for pre-modern
(fr-1606nict) and modern (fr, or, perhaps, fr-FR).

Please note, I'm not opposing these registrations per se. I'm just
unclear (having mostly ignore previous conversation on the topic) how
anyone unfamiliar with that email thread would figure out what to use
these subtags for.

Best Regards,

Addison

Addison Phillips