Request for variant subtag fr 16th-c 17th-c Resubmitted!

John Cowan cowan at
Wed Jan 10 01:24:11 CET 2007

Ciar?n ? Duibh?n scripsit:

> Is this mechanism technically acceptable?  If so, I suggest we examine the
> consequences of making "16siecle" and "17siecle" subtags of a French
> macrolanguage tag.  If not, had Peter some other macrolanguage mechanism in
> mind?  Otherwise, it will be back to discussion of the subtag method.

We don't have authority, however, to create macrolanguages:  only ISO 639-3/RA
can do that.

John Cowan    cowan at
[T]here is a Darwinian explanation for the refusal to accept Darwin.
Given the very pessimistic conclusions about moral purpose to which his
theory drives us, and given the importance of a sense of moral purpose
in helping us cope with life, a refusal to believe Darwin's theory may
have important survival value. --Ian Johnston