ISO 639 name change: Songhai languages

John Cowan cowan at
Tue Jan 9 05:59:05 CET 2007

Don Osborn scripsit:

> So, to say a Keyman keyboard like the AFRO one is appropriate
> for the Fulfulde of Western Niger (fuh) is not really accurate or
> helpful. Anything that is good for the west is good for the east
> (fuq) and you'd be better off referring to just Fula macrolanguage (a
> locale would be ff-NE). And as far as keyboards for that language go,
> they would probably cover several country locales, but that is getting
> offtopic again...

Well, okay, some keyboards need to be marked with more than one
language, then.  That's where the se/fi keyboard comes in; there's
no macrolanguage there.

As we all know, civil libertarians are not      John Cowan
the friskiest group around -- comes from        cowan at
forever being on the qui vive for the sound
of jack-booted fascism coming down the pike.           --Molly Ivins