The limit of language codes

Debbie Garside debbie at ictmarketing.co.uk
Tue Feb 20 14:49:10 CET 2007

Chris Fynn wrote:

> It seems GB = United Kingdom [of Great Britain and Northern
> Ireland] as far as ISO 3166 is concerned.

AFAIK this is the case and best sums up how people should view "GB".

Lee Gillam wrote:

> Since they don't like the name components *united* and *kingdom*, I guess
> they couldn't find an appropriate 2 letter code element representing "".

(http://www.iso.org/iso/en/prods-services/iso3166ma/10faq/frequently-asked-q
uestions.html#QS02).
> I expect they also debated "British Isles", found that to be
objectionable, then ran out of options.

And I think this pretty well sums up the discussions around it.

Nobody that I know in the UK ever refers to GB but I think we have to accept
the difficulties and precedents involved here and move on.

Best

Debbie