One language, one subtag

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Sat Feb 17 08:23:09 CET 2007

John Cowan <cowan at ccil dot org> wrote:

> CE Whitehead scripsit:
>
>> So we never register macrolanguages?
>
> We register them but do not define them.  We only define language
> variants.

Not even that.  We don't register macrolanguages per se; what we do is
register primary language subtags, some of which correspond to ISO 639-3
macrolanguages.  The only difference between these and all the other
primary language subtags is that some (but not all) of them may be
followed by an extended language subtag.

http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/