Macrolanguages, countries & orthographies

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Thu Feb 15 15:40:29 CET 2007

CE Whitehead <cewcathar at hotmail dot com> wrote:

> Hi, I think we can tag moyen francais as French and Middle English as
> English.
> I am not sure we can tag Old English as English (why is it not
> Danish?).

This is *exactly* what I have been talking about with regard to usurping
the role of the ISO RAs.  What gives us the right to say that Middle
English is the same as English, but Old English is not?  How does this
aid interoperability and accurate identification of content?  How does
our application of ISO 639 differ from anyone else's in this regard?

This is becoming very worrisome to me.  I can now easily imagine someone
trying to register a primary language subtag without going through ISO
639 first, or with their rejection slip in hand, with the attitude that
the RA's opinion doesn't matter or that we know better somehow.  This is
not what we are here for.

http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/