Formal request for "French (all periods)"

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 13 23:17:26 CET 2007

>From: ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no
>[mailto:ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no] On Behalf Of CE Whitehead
>

> > And the macrolanguage tag will make it easier to identify Creoles
> > and such too (such as Haitian Creole).
>
>Absolutely not! That would be making a complete muddle. Effectively, you'd
>have a category meaning "every language variety ever influenced by Old
>French". Shall we include English in that?
>

>Peter Constable
I think that we mean every variety that is roughly mutually comprehensible.
English and French are not considered mutually comprehensible (though there
is an issue with Italian and Spanish  if there were a reason for a
macro-language for those we might have to consider it, but I think it is the
varieties of French that are more likely to get mixed together into a single
document; though of course French gets mixed with English it generally does
not get that mixed with it; I think we are going to get Creole mixed with
French though;
I can for example read Haitian Creole without any problem just from my
French so the two are mutually comprehensible).
(Of course, once you get past the false cognates and if your English
Latinate vocabulary is good, I suppose the French terms start to get more
recognizeable.)

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar at hotmail.com