Formal request for "French (all periods)"

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Tue Feb 13 23:07:04 CET 2007

Peter Constable scripsit:

> Absolutely not! That would be making a complete muddle. Effectively,
> you'd have a category meaning "every language variety ever influenced
> by Old French". Shall we include English in that?

Well, there's influence by borrowing, influence by being the substrate
language, and there's influence by descent.

In my (as yet unpublished) Gaelic-all-periods proposal, Old Irish,
Middle Irish, (Modern) Irish, Scottish Gaelic, and Manx are all included.

--
Barry gules and argent of seven and six,        John Cowan
on a canton azure fifty molets of the second.   cowan at ccil.org
        --blazoning the U.S. flag               http://www.ccil.org/~cowan