Proposal for a subtag registration (fr-2004-ORTOGRAF or fr-ortograf ?)

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Sat Dec 15 15:19:46 CET 2007

> From: ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no [mailto:ietf-languages-
> bounces at alvestrand.no] On Behalf Of Michael Everson

> Would it be appropriate to get a letter of support from the other
> groups?

I think so.

This case has become more rather than less concerning to me because it's more complicated than appeared as first presented: there's a set of similar or related, still-evolving, alternate orthographies; and as Randy points out, content is also distinguished by simplicity of linguistic expression. It's not clear to me what the requested tag is supposed to capture, what are the full set of distinctions that need to be represented, and how a set of tags should be structured to capture those distinctions. I'm starting to have the same uncomfortable feeling I had in 1999 when zh-min-nan et al were registered, which, eight years later, we're still sorting out and recovering from).

Peter