Proposal for a subtag registration (fr-2004-ORTOGRAF or fr-ortograf ?)

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Wed Dec 12 15:11:35 CET 2007

From: ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no [mailto:ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no] On Behalf Of Mario Périard
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2007 5:21 AM

>>Since then, this alternate spelling is spreading. Government bodies uses it
>>(ex. City of Montreal - http://ville.montreal.qc.ca/portal/page?_pageid=2496,3086502&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL )
>>as well as private firms (ex. Sociétélogique - http://www.societelogique.org/dev/contenu/?page=simple/bienvenue&langue=si )
>>
>>Is that a complete list?
>
> Is there any list of this kind? the web is an ocean in
> perpetual change. I come across the sites, maybe we could
> find more. How many is the rule?

I don't expect you to provide a complete list. However, you suggested in your mail that you had provided several, but in fact you had provided just two. When I look at the two sites mentioned, it isn't clear to me that they aren't both directly connected to the inventors rather than independent users. If you can provide other sites, that might help people here feel more confident that there's an established user community.

> I know personnaly Louis Rougnon-Glasson and we are in contact
> regularly. Our project and his project are not rival but
> complementary. Don't be shy to ask him. He is very kind. We agree
> about the phonetic part of the standard.

The point is, he makes a point to differentiate his orthographic proposals with the orthography you are implementing. If they are different, and if at some point he has a user community implementing his orthography and is looking for a subtag to use, then the fact that they are different would imply that different subtags are needed. Only if you can convince us that they actually are the same or that they differ only in insignificant ways such that using the same tag (so that all users accept either variant equally) would it make sense to consider a subtag like "ortograf" to which both can claim an association.

> I would have been so vain to suggest a subtag with my name  ;-)
> ortograf or montreal2004 is enough for me.

"montreal2004" is too long. I cannot have more than 8 characters. How about "montrl04"?

Peter