50 books or Web pages (was: Proposal for a subtag registration (fr-2004-ORTOGRAF))

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Sat Dec 8 15:30:09 CET 2007

At 14:48 +0100 2007-12-08, Frank Ellermann wrote:
>Michael Everson wrote:
>
>>>  Is this something where the ltru WG will need to add guidance
>>>  in the update to the BCP?
>
>>  No, please. This is an example of the Reviewer asking for more
>>  information. It is not something that rules have to be made for.
>
>I think it's a case of a list member asking for more information.

The Reviewer is a member of the list.

>The *reviewer* can't invent new rules like "produce 50 web sites",
>the *reviewer* can only decide based on the info or lack of info
>presented.

Rule? It was a request, and one that I thought up even though no
other list member did. Do you want me to sock-puppet? I didn't say
that if he didn't produce 50 his request would be rejected. But I
asked for 50 web sites. It would be interesting if there were a dozen.

The idea occurred to me because of ISO 639 pracxtice.

>And the *reviewer* can't decide that "2004-ortograf" is a subtag,
>no info requested by a list member can change this.

I didn't say anything whatsoever about that.

>If English oddities like Shavian are good enough for standards, then being
>very picky with non-English oddities here is a difficult course.

Shavian has a lot of presence. This one is being requested by its
inventor. This Reviewer isn't interested in the Registry becoming a
site for vanity orthographies. So I WILL be cautious about things
like this.