Proposal for a subtag registration (fr-2004-ORTOGRAF)

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Sat Dec 8 01:46:27 CET 2007

At 16:29 -0800 2007-12-07, Randy Presuhn wrote:

>  > So far, I consider this a vanity orthography.
>>  Please supply four more books or articles written
>>  in the orthography, and not from samizdat
>>  publishers.
>
>Though it would indeed be nice to have that much substantiation
>of the orthography's use, I don't see how RFC 4646 sets any particular
>requirement here.

No, but your Reviewer's task is linguistic, and so far this French
alternative orthography is not well-enough attested, and is being
proposed by its own inventor. Alarum bells do ring.

>Is this something where the ltru WG will need to add guidance in the
>update to the BCP?

No, please. This is an example of the Reviewer asking for more
information. It is not something that rules have to be made for.

>  >http://www.iforum.umontreal.ca/Forum/ArchivesForum/2003-2004/040405/article3430.htm
>  > >)
>>
>>  This article is *in* standard French.
>
>How does this constitute an objection?  There is no requirement
>that descriptions of languages registered be written in that language.

That was a discussion, not a description. Look, Randy, this isn't
algorithmic. You have a Reviewer to exercise judgement. I'm not
satisfied about the status of the entity for which a tag has been
requested.

>  > Please list 50 distinct items, be they books, websites, or software.
>
>Where does this requirement come from?  Have similar demands
>been made of other registration requests?

No, because previous requests have not been questionable in the way
that this one is.