Proposal for a new variant subtag of the french language (fr)

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Sat Dec 8 00:26:24 CET 2007

At 15:13 -0800 2007-12-07, Mark Davis wrote:
>Let me give you a little key for you:
>
>+1 : I agree
>-1 : I disagree
>LGTM : looks good to me

Bollocks.

I'm not inteersted. I'm not an idiot either. I know that +1 is Yea
and -1 is Nay and I don't care to try to work out what Yea and Nay
mean. I've asked people on this forum to use complete sentences if
they want the reviewer to follow what they are yaying and naying.

LGTM is lazy and irritating, and I hate having to figure that crap
out. Lesbian-Gay-Transsexual-something-that-begins-with-M?

>While I agree that these are a bit geeky, they are actually quite widespread.

Not im my world, they're not. You can make excuses for them, and
maybe they're fun yonder in California, but California ain't the rest
of the world.

>For a polyglot like you, shouldn't take more than a few minutes to learn.

Sweet of you to say. For a talented programmer like you, shouldn't
take much trouble to bother to express yourself in complete sentences
instead of mathematical formulae or acronyms.

>I myself really dislike the terms "i18n", "l10n", and so on;

Splendid. Why bother with silliness like LGTM, then?

I use correct spelling and punctuation when I send text messages on
the phone too.

>so I don't tend to generate them but that doesn't stop me from
>recognizing them.

The problem with +1 and -1 is that they expect a certain kind of
abstract tracking which is not going to happen in the present context.

Inflexibly but unapologetically yours,