Proposal for a new variant subtag of the french language (fr)

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Fri Dec 7 09:45:24 CET 2007

On Fri, Dec 07, 2007 at 12:13:38AM +0100,
 Kent Karlsson <kent.karlsson14 at comhem.se> wrote
 a message of 157 lines which said:

> If I may suggest one obvious possibility, a variant subtag
> "ortograf" (with "fr" as Prefix) would do nicely.

+1

> Just out of curiosity, why 'ortograf altêrnativ', and not 'ortografí
> altêrnatiff'

No, the purpose, as far as I understand it, is to align the
orthography with the pronunciation. So "ortografí" does not work
("orthography" in english translates to "orthographe" in french, where
the final E is not pronunced).