Scottish English (was: LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM (fwd)

Karen_Broome at spe.sony.com Karen_Broome at spe.sony.com
Mon Aug 27 04:13:27 CEST 2007

While I sincerely appreciate all the scholarly input into the
classification of the precise dialect found in this film, this was only a
single use case. I'd rather we focus this discussion on the legitimacy of
the en-scotland tag I requested -- as requested. How our products are
classified is ultimately at our discretion and is not a task for IANA. Our
classifications may not be as precise as Scottish linguists might like and
at times we have a distinct need to generalize for business reasons.

The request is for en-scotland. I'm not eager to register tags for
dialects of English and Scots until I have an actual business need for
them and I do not see any current value in distinguishing dialects of
Scots in our archive. I would also warn that mass regional registrations
based on a single use case may do more harm than good in this transitional
time. I understand that it is the opinion of the linguists polled that the
film is primarily in the Glaswegian dialect of the Scots language.

I'd prefer that any further discussions about the classification of this
particular film be taken off the public list (though I'm happy to receive
follow-up correspondence personally). I'd like the en-scotland proposal be
considered on its own merit as written.

Regards,

Karen Broome
Metadata Systems Designer