(Revised) LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM

Caoimhin O Donnaile caoimhin at smo.uhi.ac.uk
Sun Aug 26 02:25:12 CEST 2007

I support Karen's revised request (below).  The three experts on
Scottish dialects whom I consulted were all emphatic that
"Scottish Standard English" was a variant which should be registered
and that en-scotland would be a suitable tag for it.

Note, however, that the tag will not be appropriate for Karen's original
intention of tagging the original release of the film Gregory's Girl,
but rather would be apropriate for tagging the revoiced version released
for the American market!  The most appropriate tag for the original
release would almost certainly be sco-glasgow, which would require a
separate subtag registration.  (Of course, Karen can still tag the
revoiced release as the less specific "en" or "en-GB" if she thinks
this would be less likely to confuse people.)

I spoke to the film director Chris Young, who lives near here and who is
a friend Bill Forsyth, director of Gregory's Girl.  He told me that all
the clips of Gregory's Girl which I would find on Youtube, etc, would be
from the revoiced version, because the video release was made from the
revoiced version.  He also said that the revoicing was of very good
quality because a lot of money was spent on it.

A couple of comments on the revised registration form:

(1) It would be better to change "Scots Gaelic" to "Scottish Gaelic".
There is nothing wrong with "Scots Gaelic" as a historic term,
but "Scottish Gaelic" is what the language would be called by English
speakers in Scotland today, and it avoids the possibility of confusion
with "Scots" which is a totally different language.

(2) It might be worth adding Derrick McClure's chapter on "English
in Scotland" in the Cambridge History of the English Language, vol. 5
to the list of references.  If he says it is as good as there is in
print, I believe him.  He is a very well respected figure.

Caoimhín