Scottish English (was: LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM)

Karen_Broome at spe.sony.com Karen_Broome at spe.sony.com
Thu Aug 23 19:49:53 CEST 2007

I agree with Randy's comment below that in many cases, the fine-grained
dialect identification is not always what's needed. I think language
tagging from a business perspective must be descriptive and sometimes what
you're describing is a cluster of variants, not a specific variant. Just
as we cluster Brooklyn, Georgia, and California variants of en-US under
the same tag, dude. There's no business reason to distinguish them at
present.

Randy wrote:

> While tagging that distinction may be useful for some purpose, it's far
> too fine-grained for others.  If someone someday needs to register tags
> for Glasgow or for obscure Slovenian dialects, fine.  Though I think
English
> as spoken in Fargo is "rather different" from English as spoken in
> Minneapolis, it would be insane to preclude registration of a variant
> that included both, since for many purposes there is no value in
> making that distinction.

Regards,

Karen Broome
Sony Pictures Entertainment