Scottish English (was: LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM)

Caoimhin O Donnaile caoimhin at smo.uhi.ac.uk
Wed Aug 22 23:12:09 CEST 2007

Karen,

As to "en-scottish" vs. "en-scotland" I don't have a strong opinion.
But I have a slight preference for "en-scottish" since "Scottish English"
is a term which is widely used, and since "en-england" and "en-wales"
might never catch on.

I think there is little difference between the likelihoods of
"en-scottish" and "en-scotland" being misapplied to Scots.
This is especially so in Scotland itself, where "Scots" is no
longer a productive adjective and only "Scottish" is used, so
there little likelihood of "Scottish" being mistaken for "Scots".
(I believe that "Scots" and "Scotch" survive to some extent as
productive adjectives in England and the US)

A nasty thought has just occured to me.  If the original Scottish
actors did the dubbing, the end result was probably Scottish
Standard English!  So possibly *both* the original film and
the dubbed down version are "en-scottish" - just that the original
was the strong stuff and the dubbed version was much weaker stuff.
This would be quite normal in Scotland, for people to use strong
dialect in some situations and much weaker dialect in other
situations.  Whereas for a bunch of Scottish actors to all put
on English (or American) accents and idioms, they would have to
either be very very good actors or else they would be regarded as
a bit looney.  Can you tell use what the film in question was
and I might be able to check it out?

Caoimhín