Scottish English (was: LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM)

Karen_Broome at spe.sony.com Karen_Broome at spe.sony.com
Wed Aug 22 21:36:33 CEST 2007

Hmm, but this is MORE specific than en-UK or en-US. This is a regional tag
like other regional tags, it just doesn't have a standardized codeset we
can use. And the reality of audio works is that there is often a mix of
closely related dialects in the same work. We don't classify films by
character, we classify the work. The tag I'm ideally looking for would
include both Glaswegian and Edinburgh English -- any dialect of English
found in Scotland (not Scots).

Regards,

Karen Broome

Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com>
Sent by: ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no
08/22/2007 12:45 AM

IETF Languages Discussion <ietf-languages at iana.org>
cc

Subject
Re: Scottish English (was: LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM)

At 18:43 -0700 2007-08-21, Karen_Broome at spe.sony.com wrote:

>English is a language and Scotland is a well-defined region. There
>is no controversy about these two statements -- why is there so much
>controversy over putting the two together? Isn't this what the
>variant tag is for?

Because one wants to ensure that the variant tag delimits something
specific. Glasgow and Edinburgh speech varieties are rather different.