Scottish English

Doug Ewell dewell at roadrunner.com
Wed Aug 22 06:42:36 CEST 2007

Various replies on this topic, one digest at a time.

Caoimhin O Donnaile <caoimhin at smo dot uhi dot ac dot uk> wrote:

> The most extreme form of Scottish English is the English spoken in
> Glasgow.  Look up "John Smeaton" on Youtube for good examples of an
> ordinary everyday Glaswegian who thinks he is speaking ordinary
> everyday English but who would be difficult for a lot of English
> speakers to understand. e.g.:

I understood perhaps 20% to 30% of this on first hearing.  I am sure I
would have done better listening to Spanish.

> "I doubt it will rain" would certainly be understood to mean "I fear
> it will rain" in Scotland.

Whereas in American English, this would unequivocally mean "I think it
is unlikely it will rain."

Michael Everson <everson at evertype dot com> wrote:

> Does "Scottish English" include Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, and
> Inverness equally?

No more nor less so than "en-US" includes Brooklyn, Minneapolis, Santa
Monica, and Biloxi.

http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/