Scottish English (was: LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM)

Karen_Broome at spe.sony.com Karen_Broome at spe.sony.com
Wed Aug 22 02:52:18 CEST 2007

Did you read the references on my application? Here's another web page
that talks about where Standard Scottish English fits in with other
British dialects.

http://www.eng.umu.se/city/Fredrik/city/scottish.htm

Regards,

Karen Broome

Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com>
Sent by: ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no
08/21/2007 04:09 PM

IETF Languages Discussion <ietf-languages at iana.org>
cc

Subject
Re: Scottish English (was: LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM)

At 18:57 -0400 2007-08-21, John Cowan wrote:

>I take "defined" to mean "delineated" here.  There is a
>brief sketch of its phonology and a few grammatical points at
>http://www.scots-online.org/grammar/sse.htm .

Um, dont' take this wrong, but I'm waaaaay underimpressed by that
page. "My hair needs washed" is standard in Pittsburgh. Half of that
"Scottish English" is stuff we say in Ireland.

>  > >The term "Scottish English" is one often used by linguists to denote
>  > >the variety of standard English used in Scotland, as opposed to
>  > >Scots (Ethnologue code SCO).
>>
>>  References?
>
>The same.

I'd like to see better. No offence.