Scottish English (was: LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM)

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Wed Aug 22 02:27:24 CEST 2007

Michael Everson scripsit:

> Um, dont' take this wrong, but I'm waaaaay underimpressed by that
> page. "My hair needs washed" is standard in Pittsburgh. Half of that
> "Scottish English" is stuff we say in Ireland.

I'm not offended.  But both Pittsburgh and Ireland had substantial
Scottish immigration in the past, so it's hardly surprising that there are
shared features.  (Indeed, Scots as distinct from Scottish English is
one of the minority languages of Ireland.)

Do yinz say "outwith" in Ireland?

> >> References?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_English , which characterizes SSE
as a contact dialect of English, has some pointers.

--
He made the Legislature meet at one-horse       John Cowan
tank-towns out in the alfalfa belt, so that     cowan at ccil.org
hardly nobody could get there and most of       http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
the leaders would stay home and let him go      --H.L. Mencken's
to work and do things as he pleased.              Declaration of Independence