Fw: m49 code for Scotland?

Karen_Broome at spe.sony.com Karen_Broome at spe.sony.com
Tue Aug 21 20:36:15 CEST 2007

Debbie writes:

> As to Scottish English.  Bad move in my humble opinion.  I can
understand
> Edinburgh Standard and not Glaswegian Standard.  Where is the use in
such a
> code?  Better would be: en-standard_glasgow, en-standard_edinburgh etc.

Your usage scenarios are not the same as my real life need and that's the
only context for this request. I need this tag today to distinguish this
language from other en-UK variants yet to be named. I have the same video
content in two UK dialects of English.

I indicated why I need this tag, but I have no use for the more granular
tagging you mention, especially as Google searches on "Edinburgh standard
English" and "standard Glaswegian English" do not turn up many results.
I'm not sure if the word "standard" should be used here -- these terms do
not seem commonly used by linguists. Certainly there are many English
dialects in the UK that may want identification, as others have mentioned,
but I don't have a need for them right now.

The tagging above is also illegal. Below are the search results for
"Standard Scottish English."

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22standard+scottish+english%22&hl=en&start=10&sa=N

I really just want to say English as spoken in Scotland and leave it at
that, but I'll take a tag for Standard Scottish English if there's no
suitable regional tag. Doug suggests that perhaps "Scotland" is a better
subtag.

It's quite likely there are several Scottish dialects in the original work
mentioned. It was shot in locations throughout Scotland. That's another
difference between audio language identification and textual language
identification. Audio content is much more likely to have a slight blur of
dialects due to a mix of speakers. Written language usually has one author
per work so you can fully classify the document into a distinct dialect.
Perhaps this is why "Serbo-Croatian" is still useful to us in audio
contexts.

This is somewhat akin to the Catalan vs. Valencian problem so I suspect
this type of regional issue will come up again, probably in the UK for
dialects others have mentioned.

Regards,

Karen Broome
Metadata Systems Designer