New UN numeric country codes

Doug Ewell dewell at roadrunner.com
Sat Aug 11 20:50:13 CEST 2007

As a very low-priority note, the UN Statistics Division has recently
assigned numeric country codes for "Saint-Barthélemy" (652) and
"Saint-Martin (French part)" (663).

These entries have a note that the corresponding alpha-3 codes are
"forthcoming from ISO," implying that we should expect to register new
region subtags based on the alpha-2 codes in a couple of months.  I wish
ISO 3166/MA the best of luck in coming up with reasonably mnemonic
alpha-2 codes; the "S" block is almost completely allocated.

It's best not to ask whether these new region subtags will indicate
useful linguistic distinctions.  We register them all so we don't have
to make arbitrary choices.

http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/