Solving the UTF-8 problem

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 10 21:22:55 CEST 2007

From:  "Doug Ewell" <dewell at roadrunner.com>
.adelphia.net at DGBP7M81>for <ietf-languages at iana.org>; Fri, 10 Aug 2007
06:34:36 +0000
>CE Whitehead <cewcathar at hotmail dot com> apparently wrote, underneath a
>thick HTML wrapper:
>
>>>One more argument: All of Wikipedia is UTF-8.  If you need to look up the
>>>name of a language, dialect or script there, you can cut and paste the
>>>names directly, whether it is Faroese (føroyskt), Greek
>>>(ελληνική γλώσσα), Hebrew (עברית), or Japanese
>>>(日本語).
>>
>>That is a good argument; people can do the same at our list then; but I
>>hope we will do all we can to accomodate those without the fonts.
>
>Please get over the font issue.  The overwhelming majority of characters in
>the Registry are LATIN and are included in the WGL4 set.  Almost all of
>these are in the Latin-1 set.  If you can't read UTF-8 on your machine, it
>is probably because you don't have software that understands the encoding,
>not because of fonts.

Not quite; we did not have the fonts in Florence--or rather we had them on a
few computers; we had up-to-date Windows with utf-8; but I get all the
characters fine on computers near Atlanta.
>>Doug said
>>(http://www.alvestrand.no/pipermail/ietf-languages/2007-July/006791.html)
>>that he could  "see posting a "reduced value" hex-NCR version of the
>>Registry, and" [also] ". . . see posting an informative link to a tutorial
>>site" [for using utf-8 and the fonts}--which will be fine for me!
>
>You ignored the other 99% of my post, which opposed making the language-tag
>site into a "UTF-8 For Dummies" classroom, just to put that one quote in.
>
>Stéphane can post whatever he likes on his informative Web site, including
>an unofficial Registry in hex NCRs or other encodings.
>

>Doug Ewell  *  Fullerton, California, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14

I'd like a link to Stephane's web site and hope he will post the unofficial
registries and a link to a tutorial site.